RESOLUTION NO. 001271
PASSED April 30, 2001
A resolution of the City Commission of the City of Gainesville, Florida, creating the Technical Advisory Committee on Southern Pine Beetle Suppression; providing for the appointment and terms of its members; providing for the appointment of a chair; defining its powers and duties; providing for the dissolution of the committee; and providing an immediate effective date.
WHEREAS, on April 30, 2001 the City Commission adopted a resolution declaring a tree emergency and recognizing the serious threat to pine trees created by the current infestation by the southern pine beetles; and
WHEREAS, the City Commission has adopted an Emergency Southern Pine Beetle Suppression Program to assist landowners in cutting down and properly treating trees actively infested with the southern pine beetle; and
WHEREAS, the City Commission wishes to create a technical advisory committee to advise the city, county, state and federal government on matters related to the suppression program;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA:
1. The Technical Advisory Committee on Southern Pine Beetle Suppression is created as a single issue committee.
2. The Committee shall consist of not more than nine members who shall be appointed by the City Commission. Each member shall be engaged in an occupation or profession dealing with the science of either insects or trees. Initial members of the Committee shall be appointed for a term not to exceed six months from the Committee’s first meeting. Vacancies on the Committee shall be filled by the City Commission.
3. The City Commission shall designate one of the members to be Chair of the Committee. The Committee shall designate a Vice-Chair to serve when the Chair is not available.
4. The Committee shall provide scientific expertise on southern pine beetle infestations and the southern pine beetle suppression program to the City Commission, Alachua County, the State of Florida and the federal government by:
a) Determining the extent of the southern pine beetle infestations within the City limits of Gainesville and within Alachua County.
b) Providing short-term and long-term estimates of impact of southern pine beetle population suppression.
c) Enumerating the advantages and disadvantages of southern pine beetle population suppression.
d) Determining the best management practices to suppress southern pine beetle populations and minimize the impact of southern pine beetle damages.
e) Recommending to the City Commission, Alachua County, the State of Florida and the federal government the best solution(s) for suppression of southern pine beetle populations with due consideration given to sociological, economic and biological aspects of the problem.
f) Considering any other matters related to the southern pine beetle suppression program.
5. The Committee shall be automatically sunset two years after its first meeting, unless dissolved sooner by resolution of the City Commission.
6. This resolution shall become effective immediately upon adoption.
PASSED AND ADOPTED this 30 day of April , 2001.
PAULA M. DeLANEY
KURT M. LANNON
CLERK OF THE COMMISSION
Approved as to form and legality
MARION J. RADSON
CITY ATTORNEY MAY 1, 2001
|Return to index.||Return to top of page.|