RESOLUTION NO. 001257
PASSED April 30, 2001
A resolution of the City Commission of the City of Gainesville, Florida, declaring a tree emergency in the urban forest due to the imminent threat of destruction of pine trees by infestation of southern pine beetles; adopting an emergency pine beetle suppression program; and providing an immediate effective date.
WHEREAS, the City Arborist and the State of Florida Division of Forestry have identified a large population of southern pine beetles within the urban forest of Alachua County, including the City of Gainesville; and
WHEREAS, southern pine beetles can kill a pine tree in a matter of days; and
WHEREAS, the City of Gainesville is designated a Tree City USA, and contains thousands of pine trees; and
WHEREAS, the City Arborist and the State of Florida Division of Forestry have witnessed the infestation and destruction of hundreds of pine trees within the corporate limits by the southern pine beetle, and they believe that thousands of pine trees are currently under threat and at risk; and
WHEREAS, dead pine trees create fuel build-up as well as falling branches and trunks, thus creating an immediate and imminent threat to property and lives, thereby creating a danger to the public health, safety and welfare of the community; and
WHEREAS, the City Arborist and the State of Florida Division of Forestry concur that the best method to prevent further destruction and loss of pine trees is the immediate removal of trees infested by the pine beetle; and
WHEREAS, the City Commission finds that it is in the interest of the public health, safety and welfare to immediately remove pine trees that are actively infested by the southern pine beetle to prevent further destruction and loss of pine trees within the City of Gainesville;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA:
1. The City Commission declares a tree emergency in the urban forest of the City of Gainesville, Florida.
2. The City Commission approves the Emergency Southern Pine Beetle Suppression Program (“the Program”), a copy of which is attached to and made a part of this resolution, and calls upon all citizens to participate in the Program and to cooperate in the removal of trees infested by the southern pine beetle.
3. The City Manager is authorized to purchase goods, supplies and materials necessary to implement the Program and the Purchasing Policies of the City are waived to that extent. Disaster Funds of the City are appropriated for this Program. The tree emergency, the Program and the authorization shall end at 11:59 p.m. on November 15, 2001, unless extended or terminated by resolution of the City Commission.
4. The City Manager is authorized to make application to the U.S. Forest Service and the State of Florida Division of Forestry to seek grants and aid to offset the costs and expenses of the City in implementing this program.
5. The City Commission calls upon Alachua County and the cities in Alachua County to monitor the infestation of the southern pine beetle in their communities and to take all steps necessary to control the infestation.
6. This resolution shall become effective immediately upon adoption.
PASSED AND ADOPTED this 30 day of April , 2001.
PAULA M. DeLANEY, MAYOR
KURT M. LANNON, CLERK OF THE COMMISSION
Approved as to form and legality
MARION J. RADSON, CITY ATTORNEY, MAY 1, 2001
|Return to index.||Return to top of page.|