(70% research, 30% teaching)
- Ph.D., 1990, Texas A&M University, TX (Entomology)
- M.Sc., 1986, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario (Entomology)
- B.Sc., 1983, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario (Biology)
Relevant Employment History
- Professor and Graduate Coordinator, University of Florida (2009 to present)
- Professor, University of Florida (2007 to present)
- Associate Professor, University of Florida (1997 to 2007)
- Assistant Professor, University of Florida (1993 to 1997)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Florida (1990 to 1993)
- ENY 6203/6203L, Insect Ecology
- ENY 6934, Seminar in Insect Chemical Ecology
- ENY 6934, Seminar in Graduate Professional Development (coordinator)
- Plant-insect interactions
- Chemical ecology
- Insect behavior
- Tritrophic interactions among plants, herbivores and natural enemies
Current Research Projects
- Chemical ecology of pepper weevil, Anthonomus eugenii
- Feeding behavior of southern chinch bug, Blissus insularis
- Host plant resistance in lettuce to multiple insect species
Backus, E., M. Rangasamy, M. Stamm, H. Mcauslane, and R. Cherry. 2013. Waveform library for chinch bugs (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Blissidae): characterization of electrical penetration graph waveforms at multiple input impedances. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 106: 524-539.
Ma, L., H. Lu, R. Cherry, H. McAuslane, and K. Kenworthy. 2013. Effect of time and testing method in determining St. Augustinegrass resistance to southern chinch bugs (Hemiptera: Blissidae). Journal of Entomological Science 48: 161-165.
Navarrete, B., H. McAuslane, M. Deyrup, and J. Pena. 2013. Ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) associated with Diaphorina citri (Hemiptera: Psyllidae) and their role in its biological control. Florida Entomologist 96: 590-597.
Addesso, K. M., H. J. McAuslane, and R. Cherry. 2012. Aggregation behavior of the southern chinch bug (Hemiptera: Blissidae). Environmental Entomology 41: 887-895.
Sethi, A., H. Alborn, H. McAuslane, G. Nuessly, and R. Nagata. 2012. Banded cucumber beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) resistance in romaine lettuce: understanding latex chemistry. Arthropod-Plant Interactions 6: 269-281.
Addesso, K., H. McAuslane, and H. Alborn. 2011. Attraction of pepper weevil to volatiles from damaged pepper plants. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 138: 1-11.
Hammad, E., and H. McAuslane. 2010. Effect of Melia azedarach L. extract on Liriomyza sativae (Diptera: Agromyzidae) and its biocontrol agent Diglyphus isaea (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae). Journal of Food Agriculture&Environment 8: 1247-1252.
Addesso, K. M., and H. J. McAuslane. 2009. Pepper weevil attraction to volatiles from host and nonhost plants. Environmental Entomology 38: 216-224.
Addesso, K. M., H. J. McAuslane, P. A. Stansly, F. Slansky, and D. J. Schuster. 2009. Artificial substrates for oviposition and larval development of the pepper weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 102: 257-264.
Cetintas, R., and H. McAuslane. 2009. Effectiveness of parasitoids of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) on cotton cultivars differing in leaf morphology. Florida Entomologist 92: 538-547.