(60% Research, 30% Extension, 10% Teaching)
- B.S. 1963. Austin Peay State Univ, Major in Sci, Tennessee, M.S. 1965.
- Oklahoma State Univ, Plant Pathology, Oklahoma
- Ph.D. 1968. North Carolina State Univ, Plant Pathology, NC
Relevant Employment History
- 1979-date, Professor of Nematology, Univ. of Florida
- 1974-79, Assoc. Professor, Univ. of Florida
- 1970-74, Asst. Professor of Nematology, Univ. of Florida
- 1968-70, Asst. Professor of Plant Pathology, Univ. of Florida
Investigating biocontrol, cultural, crop rotational, plant resistance, and chemical means of managing plant-parasitic nematodes.
Teaching and graduate student advisement
- Plant Nematology (Nem 5707).
- Ph.D. Chairman: Four students graduated, four students currently enrolled.
- M.S. Chairman: Six students graduated.
- Ph.D. Committee Member: Fifteen committees.
- M.S. Committee Member: Ten committees.
Grants and Contracts
- Southern Region Agric. Research and Education Program (SARE).
- Development of cropping systems for nematode management on agronomic and horticultural crops. 1992-95. $155,000.(Co-Principal Investigator).
- Southern Region IPM. Biological control of root-knot nematodes. 1993-95. $84,015.(Co-Principal Investigator).
- Book Chapters: 9
- Non Refereed: 163
- Refereed: 69
Selected Publications (last 5 years)
- Hewlett, T. E., D. W. Dickson, D. J. Mitchell, and M. E. Kannwischer-Mitchell. 1988. Evaluationof Paecilomyces lilacinus as a biocontrol agent of Meloidogyne javanica on tobacco. Journal of Nematology 20:578-584.
- Davis, E.L., D.T. Kaplan, D.W. Dickson, and D.J. Mitchell. 1989. Root tissue response of tow related soybean cultivars to infection by lectin-treated Meloidogyne spp. J. Nematology 20:219-228.
- Nordmeyer, D., D. W. Dickson, L. T. Ou, and H. L. Cromroy. 1989. Uptake, accumulation and metabolism of carbofuran and fenamiphos by the phytoparasitic nematodes Meloidogyne javanica and M. incognita. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 34:179-184.
- Nordmeyer, D., and D. W. Dickson. 1989. Effect of carbamate, organophosphate and avermectin nematicides on the oxygen consumption of three Meloidogyne spp. Journal of Nematology 21:472-476.
- Nordmeyer, Dieter, and Don W. Dickson. 1990. Biological activity and acetylcholinesterase inhibition of nonfumigant nematicides and their degradation products on Meloidogyne incognita. Revuede Nematologie 13:229-232.
- Oostendorp, M., D. W. Dickson, and D. J. Mitchell. 1990. Host range and ecology of isolates of Pasteuria spp. from the southeastern United States. Journal of Nematology 22:525-531.
- Nordmeyer, D., and Don W. Dickson. 1990. Multiple-molecular forms of acetylcholinesterase in the plant-parasitic nematodes Meloidogyne incognita and Radopholus similis. Revue de Nematologie 13:311-316.
- Oostendorp, M., D. W. Dickson, and D. J. Mitchell. 1991. Population development of Pasteuria penetrans on Meloidogyne arenaria. Journal of Nematology 23:58-64.
- Oostendorp, M., T. E. Hewlett, D. W. Dickson, and D. J. Mitchell. 1991. Specific gravity of spores of Pasteuria penetrans and extraction of spore-filled nematodes from soil. Supplement to the Journal of Nematology 23:729-732.
- Dickson, D. W., and R. McSorley. 1991. Evaluation of two soybean cultivars and aldicarb treatment in soil infested with plant-parasitic nematodes. Supplement to the Journal of Nematology 23:678-681.
- Kinloch, R. A., and D. W. Dickson. 1991. Comparison of winter and spring soil fumigation with 1,3-D for the management of Meloidogyne arenaria on peanut. Supplement to the Journal of Nematology 23:682-685.
- McSorley, R. and D.W. Dickson. 1991. Determining consistency of spatial dispersion of nematodes in small plots. J. of Nematology. 23:65-72.
- McSorley, R., R. N. Gallaher, and D.W. Dickson. 1991. Population densities of plant-parasitic nematodes following winter cover crops. Proceedings of the 1991 Southern Conservation Tillage Conference. Special report 148. Arkansas Ag. Exp. St., U of Arkansas, Fayetteville.
- Ou, L. -T., J. E. Thomas, and D. W. Dickson. 1992. Enhanced biodegradation of the nematicide fenamiphos in soil. Soil Science Society of America.(Special Publication).
- Inserra, R., M. Oostendorp, and D. W. Dickson. 1992. Pasteuria sp. parasitizing Trophonema okamotoi in Florida. Journal of Nematology 24:36-39.
- Hatz, B., and D.W. Dickson. 1992. Effect of temperature and attachment, development, and interactions of Pasteuria penetranson Meloidogyne arenaria. J. Nematology. 24:512-521.
- McSorley, R., and D. Dickson, E. M. Candanedo-Lay, T. E. Hewlett, and J. J. Frederick. 1992. Damage threshold studies of Meloidogyne arenaria on peanut. Journal of Nematol 24:193-198.
- Mendes, M.L., and D.W. Dickson. 1993. Detection of Heteroder aglycines on soybean in Brazil. Plant Disease. 77:499-500.
- Ou, L.T., J.E. Thomas, and D.W. Dickson. 1993. Enchanced biodegradation of the nematicide fenamiphos in soil. SSSA Speical Publication Number 32. Soil Science of America, and American Society of Agronomy. Madison, Wisconsin.
- Hewlett, T.E., and D.W. Dickson. 1993. A centrifuge method for attaching endospores of Pasteuria spp. to nemtodes. Supplement of the J. of Nematology. 25:785-788.